Saturday, October 23, 2010

Universal Correspondence


The universe speaks to me through fortune cookies. I listen. While I was studying for the bar exam, Yang and I went to Happy Panda for lunch. My fortune read, "you will soon pass a big test." Seriously. I knew I still needed to study, but I was a little more confident after that. (I passed.) While I was pregnant with Xiao Mei, I received a fortune that said I would soon meet a new best friend. The truth of that fortune increases every day. XM is a hilarious little person.

So, I pay attention to my fortune cookies. I have tried to give XM a sibling for quite a while now. Last Christmas day I miscarried for the first time. (How is that for dramatic timing?) We went out for Chinese a couple days later and my fortune read, "Time heals all wounds, keep your chin up." Thank you, universe. I'm waiting for my fortune to tell me that we will add a new person to our family. When I receive that fortune (which I am utterly convinced I will), I'll let you all know. Until then, Universe, good night and good luck.

I went on a cruise to Alaska the beginning of September to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I was the youngest person on the boat by 20 years. Fantastic.

Here is a picture of an awesome Taiwanese man I met. His business card read "Paly Boy." (It think he meant for it to say "Play Boy.") Wow. I am confident that this picture is posted on a Chinese website of ill-repute. Somehow, I am not as bothered as I perhaps should be. For the sake of reciprocity, I am exploiting his image on my blog.
Here I am with my brother and sister-in-law in front of the Hubbard glacier. I think. One of those Alaskan glaciers, anyway.

4 comments:

runningfan said...

Oh, Kori. I'm sorry you're struggling to get a second child safely home. I miscarried at Thanksgiving time two years in a row. Tragic indeed! I'm sure you are well-equipped with sympathetic friends, but if not....I'm here!

Yin said...

Thanks! I can remember you discussing your struggles during our early morning jogs, but I sympathize on a whole new level now. I do have plenty of support here. C'est la vie! I can't control everything, right?

Hailey Vial said...

Sounds like we both had @#%* Christmas's last year.
Here's to a better one this year, and lovely fortunes.
I'm a believer in the cookie's wisdom too.

Melinda said...

Really well written post. I laughed so hard at that picture with your "paly boy"!! But then I felt so sad to hear about your difficult Christmas and difficulty getting pregnant again. I pray it works for you quickly and that the universe starts sending you some good messages!! Thinking of you and your family, we miss you!