Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Oh, How the Mighty Fall

I received very disturbing news yesterday. My faithful, reliable car is only worth $1300. It is worth much more than that to me. I imagine the feeling I had looking at Kelley’s blue book value for the Tracer is similar to the way I’d feel if someone told me my pet is ugly or my child is stupid. I felt so sad. After all, I have been driving that car for nine years.

I was interested in its value because it was rear-ended about a week ago. A punk kid didn’t see me stopped in the road, waiting to turn left (with my signal on, of course), and he crashed into me. We were both okay, but the Tracer was a little beat up. Thankfully the other driver was insured, and the appraiser wrote us a check for $1350 for repairs. We deposited the check because, even with the repairs, we couldn’t sell the Tracer for that much money. Yang took his blow torch and tools to the bumper and trunk last night, and the car is almost as good as before.

No comments: