Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The youths

The Church asks me to assist with the youth. In both this ward and the last ward. I am more than happy to do so. I sometimes wonder why they pick me, I don't consider myself a role model. I am fairly adept at the camping/carving/hiking/etc. . . that is typical with the youth programs, but quite honestly, I prefer those activities alone, not with half a dozen teenagers in tow. There are a lot of others who I think would be better at it than me. Anyway, in addition to outdoor stuff and Sunday meetings, we meet once a week and do the typical church/youth program things. Sometimes its fun, sometimes its something civic or service related. To be fair, with the bunch I left in the last ward, I actually had a lot of fun. Perhaps with a little more time, this bunch will be the same way.

Earlier this evening I had a typical activity which went well enough, but when it was over, the kids run off and try to get in some typical teenage clownery before their parents come to pick them up. I try to keep a lid on this to some degree, so nothing gets burned down. Tonight I was distracted for a few minutes by one of the other adults, and the youths slipped away. During this time, one of the boys decided it would be funny to give one of the younger boys a wedgie. Well, the wedgie was delivered with enough purpose that it actually ripped the choneys right off the poor kid. He was fairly upset, understandably.

I really don't know exactly how best to discipline a kid who super-wedgies another. Perhaps there isn't a good way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was asked today...choneys was slang where i grew up for underwear. I believe it has Spanish etymology.