Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Update

I feel like I should be in a Nationwide commercial, with Joel McHale playing the part of Eleanor. Life comes at you fast. This post is a random update on pregnancy and other issues.

First, I am 33 weeks along. Dang. I hoped I would still be cute pregnant at this point, but I most definitely am not. I am jabba-huge. My stomach is out of control—I keep expecting to tip over. Unfortunately, my butt and legs are out of control as well. It’s a whole body transition. My back aches, I can’t sleep well, and I run out of breath after walking more than 10 steps. My emotions aren’t totally out of control, but I do have a touch of the crazy. I am much more honest than I’ve ever been. I just don’t have the patience for social niceties and subtleties anymore. My back hurts too much to be polite.

My cats have discovered that my pregnant belly provides a nice cozy perch, so they jump up on my stomach every time I sit still. Ella isn’t quite sure what to think about the company. Sometimes she tolerates the squatters, but most times she kicks and punches them. Often, she moves enough to run the cats off the belly! I anticipate this battle will continue into the postpartum days. I suspect Gollum, in particular, will compete for my attention every time I hold Ella. Sorry Gollum. You will lose, but I’ll do my best to accommodate both cat and baby.

Of all the indignities of pregnancy, nothing is more humiliating than pregnancy aerobics. (Ok, um, there are several things more humiliating, but let me be dramatic for a moment). I recently started an aerobic routine because my hugeness is out of control. Wow, I must look very pathetic shuffling along and waving my arms. I used to run 10+ miles a week, now I get winded doing the mambo-cha-cha-cha. Thankfully I can do it in the privacy of my own home.

In non-pregnancy news, I am obsessed with the 2008 campaign. It all started with the Romney Mormon issue. I am not Republican, and would not vote for Romney if I were, but I am fascinated with his campaign. I must admit I am very surprised at how the whole Mormon issue has played out. I agree with what Ken Jennings said in a NY Daily News opinion (sorry, I can’t find a link).

“This is a strange season to be a Mormon,” Jennings begins. “During my lifetime, I thought The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had effectively mainstreamed itself. Being a Mormon was like being Canadian, or a vegetarian, or a unicyclist — it made you a bit of a conversation piece at dinner, but you didn’t come in for any lip-curling scorn.”

The news coverage in December was surprisingly vitriolic. I love the irony in religious people calling other religious people crazy, or southern Baptists calling Mormons racist, or journalists requesting that Romney summarize his faith in a political speech. I couldn’t fully explain the essence, basis, and nuance of my faith if I had a week.

I think Romney asked for the scrutiny when he cozied up to the religious right. Ugh. I just hate that our whole religion was dragged into it. I am the first to admit it is painfully easy to create a caricature of Mormonism. But I am also the first to claim that faith is something beautiful, complex, and worthy of respect (or at least tolerance).

In all honesty, I hope Romney loses in Iowa and drops out of the race because he is a Mormon. I guess that makes me a bigot.

Christmas update: Yang and I had a mellow, enjoyable Christmas. We both took some time off work and hung out at the house. For Yang, hanging out meant working on the house. He finished the trim in the kitchen and replaced the kitchen window. We opened our presents a few days early. He got me a video camera and I got him a police scanner. (I know, I know, I shouldn’t encourage him).

The next few weeks will be dedicated to wrapping up work in anticipation of my leave and preparing for baby. I start my childbirth prep classes next week, and I am sure Ella will be here before I am ready. I’m excited.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a huge, wonderful, full-body pillow that I used while pregnant -- it kept me on my left side at night and really helped my backaches. You're more than welcome to borrow it for the last few weeks! And it would give me an excuse to drop by and give you other things, too. :)

M said...

Well, I'm pretty into the 2008 campaign as well. Although we differ in that I am a Republican and am hoping someone religious (Huckabee or Romney) wins. (Side note: I thought that I'd get caught up on my Newsweeks though being up during the night... blast my baby for only getting me up once... not enough to totally catch up!) This is going to be a great year... presidential election AND the Olympics. What more could a TV junkie want?

M said...

Sorry to leave two comments. Did you know this? Check this out:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/03/iowa.caucuses.101/index.html

I knew caucuses were "grassroots" and all that -- and I knew you had to be counted in person, but I didn't realize that for the Democrats, you literally have to "stand next to the wall to be counted." No ballot. I wish I were there!

Yin said...

The democratic caucus sounds crazy! I would love to be there, too. I love how caucus-goers can try to convince the others to join their group. I wonder if they have a sales pitch, bribes, or if they use shame and intimidation.

Anonymous said...

Its probably shame and intimidation. you know, like church.

G said...

For some reason, I'm still not comfortable with the term "caucus".

Yin said...

G- I'm afraid to ask why.