Wednesday, January 30, 2008

37 Weeks and Sympathy Nesting


Behold, the belly! Being 37 and a half weeks pregnant is not much fun. I hurt and I’m grouchy. Poor Yang. I did not want to post a picture, but 9 months (one year...two years) from now, when I’ve finally recovered (physically, at least), it may be interesting to look back at this time.

Yang has been an ideal, supportive husband. No, really, I’m not just blowing smoke. He’s amazing. He has been so sympathetic and understanding for the last 37 weeks. Thankfully, his sympathy has never really veered into sympathy symptoms. His diet and weight have been consistent, his illnesses (legitimate and/or hypochondria-related) have never required more attention than my pregnancy caused illnesses, and most importantly, he has never complained of back pain in my presence.

Yang has, however, recently developed sympathy nesting. (The best symptom of all!). Two days ago, he decided to finish the remaining room in the house–the one we decided not to finish until sometime later this year. The last few nights, in his free time (between 10 pm and 2 am), he has removed trim and textured the walls. He still needs to paint, install hardwood floors, replace doors and closets, and add trim. Knowing Yang, this will be finished by Sunday afternoon.

Despite my grouchiness, I have been flooded with kindness from family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. The proverbial village really does step up to help raise (gestate?) a child. I have had a few baby showers, and I have been overwhelmed with gifts and support. People are so generous at a time when the help is definitely needed. I am very grateful.

I’ll keep you all up to date. It is very likely that my next post will be an announcement!

6 comments:

Chelle said...

What a great post, I've been looking forward to another one of yours. I check it everyday, so it was a nice surprise. I'm so glad you took the picture and posted it. I'm always surprised how with both of mine I felt like I was always getting my ugly mug shot and I can never find any pregnant pictures. You are right, you will be so glad you did later.

That's great Yang is finishing stuff off, what will he do when the house is all finished? Tear up the kitchen again for fun? Good luck to both of you in these last weeks, can't wait for more news.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be tearing up the ktichen again. I'm not happy with the countertops.

Jess said...

Yay for a pic of you! You are so cute and I love your bangs! :o)

Jennifer said...

Your hair is so fantastically long! Last time I saw you, you still had a pixie-ish cut. Thanks for posting the pic! Can't wait to see what your Longshanks looks like!

runningfan said...

So sorry I missed the shower on Saturday. I was soaking up the sun in Arizona...hope it was fun! We need to get together!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! A photo! You do NOT look like a whale- you look GORGEOUS!! I wish I could be up there to go to a shower. :( Where are you registered my dear?

Love you!!
Stef