Friday, February 08, 2008

Death, Birth, and the Whole Cycle of Life

I apologize in advance because this post is intentionally vague and obtuse. Two particular deaths in the last week have focused my thoughts on life and mortality. Last night, Yang commented that death comes in threes, so I should expect one more. I’m not superstitious, but I’m still a bit worried. I hope the Enforcer of Superstitious Rules bends the rule in this case or will allow Ella’s birth to substitute for the last death.

Death is a common topic of conversation in my line of work, so I am usually very matter-of-fact about it. It is natural and even beautiful. But, death is such a sharp contrast to the life growing inside of me that lately the thought of it stings. How can people be dying when life is just beginning for Eleanor and me? Throw pregnancy hormones in the mix, and I’m a big bundle of confusion, peace, fear, serenity, and tears.

I must admit, however, that nothing celebrates life more powerfully than juxtaposing it with death.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You scared the daylights out of me with this post title!

Perhaps you can think of the third death as the death of your days of being a couple, and the birth of your new family?

Yin said...

Sorry about the scare, Shelley. My last OB appointment was a bit scary...My OB hooked Ella up to the fetal monitor for a while. (Everything is fine). Ever since then, I've stopped every ten minutes to make sure she is still moving.

I sincerely hope the third death is something symbolic. (Not that I believe there will be a third death, but just in case).

Chelle said...

Such beautiful thoughts on the Cycle of Life. I really enjoyed your perspective.

I read this when you posted but I felt like any comment I've tried to write haven't said what I wanted to say. But there you go, it was great.