Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Labor and Delivery

As Yang announced below, Xiao Mei was born February 13, 2008. In anticipation of her arrival, I read five pregnancy books and three child care books. I completed a child care class and a labor and delivery class. I thought I was informed. I thought I was ready.

Nothing could have prepared me for the experience of giving birth.

Tuesday afternoon, around 2 pm, I started noticing regular contractions. They didn’t hurt, so I assumed they were “false labor.” I assumed they would last days, or at least a dozen hours or so. Experienced mothers confirmed my assumptions. I went about my work and started packing up for home at 5 pm. By then, my contractions were a bit more painful. By the time I pulled into my drive way, I was doubled over. I called Yang and suggested that he come home rather than going to his deputy training that night. By the time he got home (around 6 pm) my contractions were three minutes apart. We headed to the hospital.

When they checked me at the hospital, the nurse told me that I was only dilated to a one! A one! I could not believe it. I felt like I failed the first test of motherhood. I promise the contractions hurt. Thankfully, the nurse believed me and I was admitted. I went into the hot tub to help with the pain and stayed there for about 45 minutes. Then the nurse checked me again. I was at a five! I calmly asked (read: screamed) for an epidural. It was on its way. I waited. It was on its way. The anesthesiologist arrived just as I reached nine. The epidural kicked in just in time to start pushing. By then it was about 10 pm. Everyone assumed that the baby would be out in 20 minutes, but unfortunately I had to push for about 2 ½ hours. Ugh. Toward the end of pushing, her heart rate started dropping. The OB suggested assistance with forceps, and meanwhile they prepared a surgical bed for a cesarean. Thankfully, she came out with assistance.

The whole world melted away when they placed my Xiao Mei on my stomach.

Nothing could have prepared me for the experience of holding Xiao Mei for the first time.

That is my labor and delivery story. Let us never speak of it again.

Below are some pictures of Xiao Mei’s first bath and first car ride. My mother made my nursery set, and the quilt was too beautiful to use as a blanket so I hung it on the wall.







I also posted a picture that illustrates why we affectionately refer to her as "bug."


5 comments:

runningfan said...

What a fabulous post! I'm so happy to hear the details, and to know that you survived the experience. The babe is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her.

Anonymous said...

Oh, she is so perfect! You're right, the quilt is much too lovely to have on the bed -- a wonderful heirloom for XM.

Chelle said...

I thought it was a great sign when I saw a comment on my blog just days after you had her. I hope that means recovery is going well. Thanks for sharing the oh so painful and oh so beautiful story.

Now on to the good stuff. She is incredibly beautiful, I can't wait to meet her. I'm sorry to say it but she looks like she'll be giving her parents cross-examination within the week. She'll be explaining why 3:00 in the morning is not really meant to be a time for sleeping. She really does look so alert and with it.

I am so happy for you all.

Jess said...

She's darling! Congratulations! I am so excited for you two. :o)

Hailey Vial said...

What a beautiful child. Congrats on everything. Welcome to the nursing lounge at church. I met your mom at church last week, neat lady. She said you were a trooper. I want to see that kid of yours, but I'll give you your space for a bit. There's nothing like those first weeks of introducing yourselves to each other. Congrats again.