Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Patience, My Love


Xiao Mei cried when I lifted her out of her crib this morning. That was my first indication of the day to come--she usually greets me with a smile. I assume she is teething, but I don’t really know the cause of her discomfort. She has been whiny and clingy. She screams if I leave her alone for too long.


By 11 am, my to-do list eroded down from things I wanted to accomplish to things I must accomplish. The more rushed I felt, the louder XM screamed.


Mercy, child.


By 4 pm, the living room looked like a tornado hit, documents and client files buried the table, and XM clung to my ankle, crying, as I prepared dinner. My temperature was rising faster than the preheating oven, and thunder pounded inside my head.


I surrendered.


I picked up my darling girl and cuddled her on the couch. For ten minutes . . . thirty minutes . . . an hour. As I released my expectations for the rest of the day, I heard a stretching, creaking sound. It was the sound of my capacity for patience expanding. Like tectonic plates, slowly shifting and moving, it was transforming an individual into a mother.


Tomorrow I will do better.

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Such a beautiful way to describe such a difficult thing to do.

I get it, and I appreciate it.

Yin said...

Thanks Chelle. I guess we learn patience because there is no other choice.

M said...

I liked that.

And have I told you that you've turned me into a NieNie addict? I'm not kidding when I say I can't get enough and she's changing my life and attitude. Thanks for mentioning her here.

Hailey Vial said...

Yoozers, sounds like a doosie. Doesn't it feel like you are the one being raised by your children, taught their ways. You rock, see you thurday!

Julie and Pete said...

Hang in there. I don't know if things get easier but it moments like that that help us get through!
Julie