Thursday, November 06, 2008

Building a Library

When someone asks me what I am reading, I always consider lying.


“Oh, I’m currently re-reading my favorite Shakespearian comedies.”


Or, “I’m reading The Isles by Norman Davies and Alison Weir’s collection on the British monarchy and then I’m going to read the latest biography about Mao Zedong.”


I consider lying because the truth is that I’m probably reading People magazine or perhaps the Twilight books, again. Or blogs. Do blogs even count as “reading”?


“I’m currently reading The Superficial and Feminist Mormon Housewives.” Um, yeah. That doesn’t sound nearly as erudite. (And NOTHING sounds nearly as erudite as using the word erudite on one’s blog.)


It’s not surprising that I read low-brow literature considering what I chose to read while growing up. When I learned how to use the school library in the sixth grade (yes, that’s correct, I didn’t learn how to check out a book until the sixth grade) I became addicted to The Babysitter’s Club first and then to Sweet Valley High. I read every single one. Ugh.


At home, we had a complete set of 1978 encyclopedias. That was cool. However, when I was bored with the encyclopedias I would read whatever else was on our bookshelves. Usually that would be a Readers’ Digest condensed novel or a Danielle Steele book. (I hold my mother fully responsible for my condensed novel and Steele phase).


Despite her penchant for Readers’ Digest, and against all odds, my mom tried to get me to read good literature. I’ll never forget reading The Secret Garden with her. We would read it in the formal living room (you know, the room where the vacuum marks were visible all week long) on the fancy couches. It was very special, but unfortunately, it didn’t ignite a passion for good books.


So, to my point. (Yes, there is one).

I want to build a library for Xiao Mei full of timeless children’s and young adult literature. I don’t want too many books, but enough to tempt her away from the shelf full of old issues of People (and realistically, by then, a shelf full of Weekly World News—Bat baby!).

Today I’m going to find my library card and pay my late fees. Then I’m going to borrow children’s books and start reading them. Lots of them. I’m going to start with the National Book Award finalists for young people’s literature or whatever the library staff recommends. If I love the book, I’m going to buy it.

See, I’m building a library (sung to the tune of Building a Mystery).

What do you recommend? What was your favorite book when you were a kid? What do your kids love to read? What is the Babysitter’s Club of today so I can avoid it?

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

My mom read me a story every night out of the book Night Lights and Pillow Fights. Its a really cute book. I think XM would enjoy it.

runningfan said...

I think you should check out this blog (after your next biography, of course): redhoteyebrows.blogspot.com, where a friend of mine regularly reviews books.

Some classics I enjoyed: Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys, Freckles, Girl of the Limberlost, Little House on the Prairie series, Chronicles of Narnia series, and anything by Beverly Cleary (who is from Portland, btw, and makes NW references that are pretty fun!).

I haven't read them myself, but Junie B Jones books are huge with little girls just breaking into the chapter book scene. I've heard they're quite enjoyable, but I don't know if they're classified as BSC are in your mind. :)

M said...

Oh my. That was hilarious. I'm sure that wasn't your intent, but that hit WAY too close to home. Seriously, did I read that on your blog or on my own?

G said...

If it's any consolation, I will never ask you what you are reading. I may ask you what you are watching. I already know you like low brow television, so there will be no need to lie.

Inger said...

So here's some recommendations off the top of my head. Some of the books we enjoy reading to our little one right now are: Drummer Hoff, The Napping House, The Flea's Sneeze, Click Clack Moo, Goodnight Moon, Duck in the Truck, and Goodnight Gorilla. There's also A Boy and His Bunny, Officer Buckle and Gloria, Stellaluna, Knuffle Bunny, Stone Soup, Where the Wild Things Are, Owen, Sector 7, Piggie Pie,and Alice the Fairy. I also really like a lot of Sandra Boynton's board books. Some chapter books that I loved as a child: Miss Piggle Wiggle books, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Wayside Stories from Wayside School. Okay so that was a lot of books, but I'm always on the lookout for good books.

A really good book that has a lot of recommendations for children's books is called The Read Aloud Handbook. And here's a blog that someone recommended to me with lots of book reviews and recommendations: http://shermereem94.blogspot.com. Have fun building your library!

Yin said...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm excited to make my way through all the books.

The library people were very helpful. They sent me home with lists and the NY Times Guide to Children's books for Parents.

G and M - I knew your TV interests were similar to mine, so I'm glad to learn that your reading habits are as well.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for Advise on breaking up and found this great site www.saveabreakup.com I gotta admit its great and it worked for me and helped me a lot.