Monday, March 08, 2004

Ah, Utah.

SCM pointed out that I haven’t posted lately. Sorry. Real life is my only excuse. I am actually posting this during Business Associations. This is not the best time because BA is about as RL as it gets for me, but this class is really boring. I can’t help it.

On to the point of my post: I stumbled on this link via times and seasons. There has existed an unfortunate baby name trend in Utah- especially among Mormons. The trend is that parents are naming their children really horrible names! Be creative with pet names- play it safe when naming your child! Some of my favorite Utah names: Liberty Lulu, Zion Anakin, Tithing, Xione (pronounced Zion), and LaVoid. Ha! (See the best of the list linked above: the cream of the crop). In addition to pioneer-esque names, I have noticed many religion-specific names (generally only Mormons recognize the significance- Nephi, Lehi, Liahonna, Nauvoo, Kirtland) and alternative spellings (Jaxon, Kayte, etc). I haven’t always been very fond of my name, but my parents could have done a lot worse! (Kori is my name in rl).

I am sure this is not a phenomenon unique to Utah, or to Mormons for that matter. Maybe the names with alternative (made-up) spellings are not a Utah/Mormon trend, but rather a small town trend? I know biblical names have been around for a while, but people generally stick with the simple biblical names (John, James, Matthew, and the occasional Isaiah). Do people pick more “unique” biblical names in the Bible belt? The entertaining hippie-name trend seems to have ended in the 70s- what is the name trend that will characterize our generation?

Enough. Back to the differences between preferred stock and common stock.

No comments: