Thursday, March 11, 2004

Random Philosophical Conversation of the Day

So I was approached by two classmates, regarding a very interesting question. If I donated my body to science, and then my body was used for testing in land mine protective gear, does that qualify for "scientific purposes?" Should my family be upset with that use?

I think on this one I would have to say that if I donated my body to science, then I would likely think my family would not be upset, because the purpose of donating ones body is for the betterment of society. Sometimes that betterment comes via teaching new doctors. Sometimes that betterment comes via using spare parts. Sometimes for medical and pharmacological research, but for whatever reason, for the betterment of society.

If my body was used in land mine protective gear research, I think that is for the betterment of society too. This would especially be true if as a result of the research, those who live in landmined areas, or those who are charged with removing them mines get the benefit of the research.

Come to think of it, this is likely a rather fitting way for my crusty old dead body to be used. I think I am going to look into this. Time to call the estate lawyer.

No comments: