Saturday, May 31, 2008

An Ode to Gollum

Now that Xiao Mei has joined us, there have been some challenges with Gollum the cat. He hasn't caused any problems yet, but there has been some foreshadowing of problems that could arise- particularly once XM starts crawling. Gollum is not the friendliest of creatures.

Last night, Gollum left our household to join up with one of our friends who used to have a Sphinx cat. It was kinda sad on the one hand, but not so much on the other. (I'm sure people will say that about me when I die.)

To celebrate/mourn his leaving the house, I have written this little poem.

Gollum:

No hair, all mad;
Now you're gone we're only a little sad.

You have to be king of where you're at,
Top of the pyramid, of man and cat.

Now that Xiao Mei has arrived,
Your status here has certainly dived.

Hissing, growling, nipping at guests;
Going to a new home will likely be best.

Sticking around eventually you'll spray;
and there's a good chance you'd get shot that day.

You are one of those entertaining guys,
But we also like our new baby's eyes.

Best of luck old friend.

3 comments:

runningfan said...

AS usual, you're the queen of understatement. I hope the cat/baby war hasn't been too traumatic.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Yang - the poem is priceless! I am sorry that you had to find him a new home, but I completely understand. If our beloved Norris hadn't decided that Peach was the one child that he actually liked, he would have been off to Malinois rescue.

Yin said...

Yang- I am laughing and crying as I read this. Hilarious and so sad. I already miss him terribly.

Heidi, I can't take credit for this poem. It is one of Yang's masterpieces.