Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Family, Curmudgeons, and Flat Irons

My sister K and her daughter J came to meet Xiao Mei last weekend. We had such a great time catching up, and XM loved all the extra attention she received. K is very funny—she has a dry, witty sense of humor. She was fun to talk to, and she had some great insights about XM. J is 11 years old, going on 23. She is intelligent, kind, and independent. She kept XM very entertained.


July is the perfect time for visitors to Portland. The weather was great, even out at the coast. We went to the rose garden, and there were still plenty of blooming roses. I carried XM in a front carrier at the rose garden. She loved looking around at the big trees and flowers. She was happy as a clam, so she started talking. XM is not a quiet talker. She shrieks, squawks and makes all kinds of interesting noises. At first, I was a little embarrassed because so much noise was coming from such a little person. However, I figured we were outside, so XM was fine to make as much noise as she wanted. Happy baby noises are the best. Well, there was an older woman walking near us. She was clearly annoyed that XM was disturbing her contemplative walk through the roses. She commented about how loud my baby was, and I was tempted to respond with a comment about how old she looked. (I didn’t). Anyway, that was my first experience with someone expressing her annoyance with my child and/or parenting. I’m sure it won’t be the last.

K brought her flat iron with her. She has the deluxe version that heats up to approximately one million degrees. K ended up with wavy hair after her pregnancies, so she uses the iron to straighten her hair. Well, as genetics would have it, I have also developed a few kinks and curls in my hair after having XM. I tried K’s flat iron and it was awesome! I don’t know why I have not used one before now. After K and J left, I proceeded directly to my nearest Trade Secret and picked up a fancy-pants flat iron. It makes such a difference. Before I looked like the scarecrow, now my hair is nice and smooth. The down side: it nearly doubles the time it takes to get ready.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Thats all.

runningfan said...

Cute wrap! Glad you like it!

Anonymous said...

I, too, bought a Chi after my sister forced me to try hers -- I *love* it. I have curly hair that is too thin to keep its curl; it goes wavy on me. Ugh. I hope Peach gets the curls and keeps them!

You already know this, I'm sure, but you and the women in your family are all so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I bought a Chi about 6 months ago and I seriously don't know how I lived without it all these years!

You look great and Ella is so cute!!! I hope you guys are doing well!!

Kimberly said...

you should have told me you needed a flat iron. i can buy them wholesale. i hate it when people comment about my parenting skills. i want to punch them in the teeth...and ask them.... do you even remember raising children?

vermont said...

You're so fancy pants with your new beauty tool.

I have a friend that had incredible curly hair and after her first baby it went totally strait. Growing it out looked pretty funny.

Glad you had a good time with family.

Chelle said...

Sorry that was me, I didn't realize I was signed in differently.

Yin said...

Thanks for all the comments!

Runningfan-I do love the wrap! Thanks for the recommendation. Your yard looks awesome. I bet Z and T can't wait for it to be finished.

Shelley - I got the Chi, and I love it. Peach's hair is darling now. It will be fun to see what it's like in a few years.

Jill - Hello! Send me an email and tell me all about your new house.

Kim - Oooh, a hook-up! I'll keep you in mind for my next purchase :-). I, too, want to punch them in the teeth. Grumpy old people/people without kids.

Chelle - Fancy-pants indeed, with smooth silky hair. Your house is gorgeous, by the way. I'm sad you're selling it, but it should go quick.

Hailey Vial said...

your sister and neice are lovely, you make a beautiful bunch of blondes! I should show you my half and half hair. It grows straight on top, and underneath near my neck it is ringlets. No joke. It's a baby thing, as well as my shoe size increasing 1/2 size every baby!