Monday, July 07, 2008

Garden Update




A few pictures to update the gardening. Total crop failure in the onions and bagio beans. Our volunteer strawberries are worth exactly what we paid for them- we maybe got 10 berries and now they're done for the year. We planted two rows of melons, each a different variety, and one of them only has one plant on the whole row. I have my doubts about whether either row will produce anything more than slugs.

On the plus side, the peas grew so tall they fell over, even with my climbing lines. There are more than the one or two corn stalks I thought we had. We will likely have enough squash for the whole block. The pumpkins, beans and zucchini appear as though they'll bear something.

I realize I'll never make a living making things grow, but its still somewhat disheartening to realize you can't grow onions when you grew up on an onion farm. I'm going to blame this year on the seed.

Speaking of onions reminds me of a time on the farm when I accidentally ran over some onions with some farm equipment. I was making a very sharp corner with a disc and a large roller, and no matter how I turned, it just wasn't going to make the corner, I should have gone another way. I was chewed out real good, and then told I wasn't old enough to drive the larger equipment. The uncle who replaced me at the wheel then proceeded to drive the equipment down the road along side the onion field towards the shop and instructed me to follow him in a pickup. About halfway down the road the uncle got distracted and on the straight-away ran over several hundred square feet of onions. I saw it happening, but I figured best to wait a bit before I started honking to bring it to his attention, because maybe he knew what he was doing.

That was 17 or 18 years ago, but I still laugh about that.

Here are some pictures of the garden and our favorite gardener.

3 comments:

Hailey Vial said...

Yeah for gardeners! You are amazing. I will volunteer my stomach for some place to store all that squash.
I was debating doing a garden, but I think I've missed my time frame, right?
So, I've got this extra ticket to the S.M's Seattle book signing. August 12th, you in?

Kimberly said...

onions suck

Hailey Vial said...

Yeah, I just had a talk with Yin today in the nursing lounge, and I discovered that she was not the daughter of an onion farmer. Now this post actually makes sense.