Tuesday, February 17, 2004

CELL PHONES

I have decided that I generally don't like people with cell phones. Don't get me wrong, I have had them myself. Several of them. The first one I ran over with a tractor, and to my relief and amazement, it still worked afterwards. Admittedly they are very useful, and I will undoubtely own one again in the near future. However, there are several things about the average cell phone user that bother me-

Objection 1.
Seems that every phone now has some motion-alert function. Why do we need ringers anymore? There may be situations where ringers serve some purpose, but they are few. I am sitting here in class, when across the room a distorted William Tell Overature perks up from wihtin someones bag. Nervous glances and reddened faces ensue. The perpetrator discovers her phone and quickly shuts it off, whispering sorry to those around her. All completely unneccessary. It is probably worth noting, my all time tacky favorite ringer is definately the Hallelujah Chorus.

Objection 2.
When Yin and I lived in China, we quickly tired of the lack of cell phone etiquette. People screaming into their phones while at dinner is just innapropriate. There are few situations where people need to have their phone with them while at a restaurant, and if they do, see objection 1. In those rare situations, when when it rings, get up and leave the restaurant to speak, don't make those around you suffer.

Objection 3.
This one is more just personal thing... People who walk around with their hands free talking to people look like morons. Hands free are for the car, not the grocery store. There are very few situations where using one hand to hold the cell phone has resulted in serious injury or fatalities while driving a shopping cart.

Objection 4.
The antennas and covers that light up? DUH!

These are just a few that come to mind right now. I may have to add to this later.

No comments: