Friday, February 20, 2004

Get Your Groove On

A post over at Times and Seasons got me thinking of the rock songs that inspire me. In high school, “Hammer and a Nail” by Indigo Girls helped me keep my priorities straight.

Gotta get out of bed
And get a hammer and a nail
Learn how to use my hands
Not just my head- I’ll think myself in to jail…

Unfortunately, this song just makes me feel bad now that I am in law school. I am using my head way too much lately, and I definitely need to get outside more.

During finals, the rock song that inspires me most is “The Eye of the Tiger.” I find that humming it helps me internalize lists and rules. I feel courage in the face of inevitable defeat.

I usually start humming “Hey ya” by OutKast when my mind is mush from studying too hard for too long because I don’t have to think about the lyrics.

Lately, the song that inspires me most is “Into the West” by Annie Lennox. I love combination of her haunting voice, the thoughtful lyrics, and the song’s connection to Hobbits and Valinor.

What about you? What is the rock (hip hop, country, alternative) song that inspires or motivates you?

No comments: